You’ll love acupuncture even if you fear needles!
When most people hear about acupuncture, they find themselves saying, “That would help me with my condition, but I’m scared of needles.” This fear, all too often, holds them back from experiencing the benefits of acupuncture.
There are a few things to remember if you’re scared of getting an acupuncture treatment:
1. Acupuncture needles are nothing like the needles you’ve pictured in your head. They are as thin as a strand of hair! You can barely see them.
2. Even infants and kids get acupuncture treatments!
3. You are in control – Dr. Nirali works with you at your comfort level when you come in for your treatment. The experience is yours. You can tell her how you feel and she will go as slow as you need and tailor the treatment to your comfort level.
4. Fear of needles is often paired with fear of pain. A common question patients ask is, “Does acupuncture hurt?” Answer – Acupuncture should not hurt. There are some points that can be sensitive, but sensitivity doesn’t mean pain.
5. An acupuncture treatment is not limited to using needles. There are a number of modalities that may be used to treat your condition. Other modalities include targeted massage, gua sha, acupressure, moxibustion, e-stim and cupping.
6. Even for those patients who have a fear of needles, many feel relaxed and drowsy during a treatment. It’s very common to fall asleep as acupuncture allows nervous system to rest. Many patients leave the clinic feeling mild euphoria.
If you still have questions, please contact Dr. Nirali. She is always more than happy to address any concerns.